Michael T. Jackson, founder of SFG Asset Advisors in San Francisco, moved from Belvedere to Florida, where he currently resides. Born in England, Michael T. Jackson grew up in Ireland before establishing an active presence in Belvedere. Aside from work, he busies himself with travel and has visited several countries, including Morocco.
The best time to travel to Morocco is from May to September, its off-season, although prices remain high on the coast due to domestic tourism. The most popular time to visit is from November to March, but prices are highest during this time.
Getting around Morocco is affordable and can be done by train, car, bus, or taxi. The train, which has frequent departures between major cities, is the most accessible option. In destinations not serviced by trains, travelers can take the bus, which is cheaper, although slower.
Here are some other considerations for first-time visitors to Morocco to keep in mind:
• Most shops and museums are closed Friday, which is considered a holy day.
• Travelers are advised to bring bottled drinking water.
• When giving tips at restaurants, it is customary to give $1 per person at local places and around $3 to $5 per person at more upscale places.
• Avoid displaying the soles of the feet, which are perceived as unclean in Arab culture. Likewise, shoes must be taken off when invited into someone’s house.
• When visiting mosques, women should bring a shawl or a scarf to cover their head.